So Much Sitting
All of this extra free time might be great in theory, but not being able to get out and do all the activities you're used to can have a downside. Many of us are finding we're just sitting around the house much more than we used to. Whether you're working from home at the computer all day or binging a new Netflix show all night it's important to keep your physical and mental health in mind.
1. Don't Waste Your Workout:
The effects of too much sitting are hard to counter with exercise. Even if you work out 7 hours a week you can’t reverse the effects of sitting 7 hours at a time. Keep moving so you don't waste all those squats and sit ups.
2. Oh the Pain: The seated position puts huge stress on your back muscles, neck, and spine. It might help you to get the EverRelief Inflatable Seat Cushion because the ergonomic design evenly distributes your weight to provide comfort from pressure point pain. The seat cushion will help you feel better while sitting, but you should still remember to get up and move for a little bit every half hour to keep proper spine alignment.
3. Not Just Your Body: Mental issues caused by sitting all day are less studied than physical ones. But the risk of both depression and anxiety are higher in people who sit the most. This may be attributed to the fact that they're missing out on the benefits that physical fitness can provide them. Regular exercise can counter act this.
4. Age Matters: Older adults who aren’t active may be more likely to get osteoporosis (weakened bones) and could slowly become unable to perform basic tasks of everyday life, like taking a bath or using the toilet. While some may be physically incapable of intense activity it's important to find modified exercises like light walking to stay active.
5. For Your Heart: Sitting can hurt your heart, potentially leading to cardiovascular disease. Experts say people who sit more have a 147 percent higher risk of suffering from a heart attack or stroke.
Stay safe and healthy out there in your home and remember we're all in this together.