Kids Back to School? Time to Get Fit!
As much as we love them, it's time to celebrate that the kids are out of the house! After you've celebrated though it's time to get to work. You get to take care of yourself now. The first place to start is to get healthy. If you're healthy and happy the kids will be too. Here's a quick list to get you started on the road to your best self.
1. Goal Setting - It's time to get real. Saying you want to climb Mount Everest is great, but hard to accomplish. Start with something small that you know you can do if you put your mind to it. To help you reach your goals, plan your workout times in advance and put it on a calendar or list. Then, use the power of technology to remind you that it’s time to exercise.
2. Get Moving - Once you've set your realistic goals it's time to start working towards them. Start with an exercise you actually like doing. Maybe it's biking, or walking around the block. Whatever it is that will get you going. Or you can workout with your friends. This is also a great way to meet new people. Other fun ways to keep yourself motivated and engaged in your workouts is by doing fitness challenges or following along with guided workout videos.
3. Health Matters- If you haven't worked out in awhile there may be some bumps along with way. If you're feeling some aches and pains it's very important to listen to your body. It might be asking for a little more support. If you've got back, hip or sciatica pain you might want to consider wearing a Sacroiliac Support Belt to reduce swelling and provide support as you get back into working out.
4. You Are What You Eat- Getting healthy also means paying more attention to the foods you put into your body. Pick a day and spend it prepping things like lunches, snacks, or dinners for the week. See if a friend wants to meal prep with you! While you are trying new things with your exercise routine, consider trying new foods too. How about smoothies, quinoa, lentils, and more vegetables? We always tell our kids to try new things, be sure you are following your own advice.
5. Incorporate The Kids - Just because they're gone during the day they can still be a part of your new exercise routine in the evenings and weekends. How about walking by them while they play on the playground? Push them on the swings or play with them in a sandbox. If your kids play sports, why not practice that sport with them? Even if you aren’t a pro athlete, tossing your child’s basketball can mean great quality time and a chance for you to get moving. Bike rides and walks are also good options.
6. Be Kind To Yourself - Making life changes is hard work. Do what you can and don’t put pressure on yourself to be perfect. No one is perfect. Remember that your kids need a healthy parent if possible, so exercise and healthy eating are great places to start. Making these habits a priority will show them a great example. It's also a great lesson to teach them that parents need to take time for themselves are well.
There's no time like the present of course! How about making September the month you start to make real changes in your life. Hopefully you can follow these tips to help you reach your goals. We'd love to hear about your life changes in the comments section below.