This season, we're all spending a lot more time with our immediate family. It may feel like you've said everything there is to say and done everything there is to do together. If the walls are starting to close in a bit, now is the time to get out and exercise.
Here are some fun exercises you can do as a family to blow off steam and to get in better shape all together.
1. Walk or Bike-If you can, always walk or bike short distances like to the grocery store or hardware shop. Or even go for a 30-minute family walk after dinner instead of heading right for the television. Track everyone's steps with a pedometer, and try to add more distance every week. Use a family exercise log or colorful stickers to track your progress. Put your log or chart on the refrigerator as a reminder to keep up the good effort together.
2. Sing or Dance- Sometimes the best exercise is when you don't even know you're doing it. Set aside time for household chores and do them together as a family. Play music as you clean, and take turns choosing favorite songs. Younger children love to help out and can pick up toys or sweep floors while dancing with the broom. Older kids can dust, vacuum, and help make beds.
3. Chore or No Chore- There is definitely a lot of yard work that needs to be done this time of year.
Enjoy seasonal yard work together. Younger children can help plant and tend a garden. Older kids can rake leaves into a pile -- and then jump in it. Make snow shoveling fun for all by building a snow fort or creating a family of snow people.
4. Downward Dog- You may think that Yoga is too advanced for kids to do, but you might be surprised what they can pick up. Also, one of the biggest benefits to yoga is how it helps them to concentrate. It may not get all the wiggles out, but it will start them on the path to calm and collected.
5. How does your garden grow? What kids doesn't love digging around in the dirt?
It is a great, physical activity that you get to do together. You also get to enjoy the health benefit of eating veggies straight from our garden as well. They might just fall in love with it.
6. Like a kid again- If the kids don't like your choices in exercise maybe you could join in one of theirs. You can play fun games like Twister or Red Light, Green Light to get your whole family moving.
Hopefully these ideas will help you enjoy this extra time you have with your families and keep fit at the same time.
Use left/right arrows to navigate the slideshow or swipe left/right if using a mobile device